Monday, February 29, 2016

067 - Whom should you believe ?

"Can you lend me your donkey for this afternoon?" a farmer asked Mulla.

"Dear Friend," replied the Mulla, "you know that I am always ready to give you help when you need it. My heart longs to lend my donkey to you, an orthodox man. It pleases my eye to see you bring home the fruits of the field with my donkey. But what can't say, my dear friend? At the moment. someone else has my donkey."

Moved by Mulla's sincerity, the farmer thanked him profusely by saying, "Well, even if you couldn't help me, your kind words have helped me a great deal. May god be with you, O noble, kind and wise Mulla."

But, as the farmer was still frozen in a deep bow, there came from the stall a bloodcurdling heehaw. The farmer was startled, looked up in astonishment, and finally asked mistrustfully, "What do I hear? Your donkey is there after all. I heard this donkey like voice."

The Mulla turned red with anger and screamed, "You ungrateful man, I told you the donkey is not there. Whom do you believe more? The Mulla or the stupid cries of an even more stupid donkey?"

source: Stories from Here and There, Ekalavya Education Foundation - By: Sunil Handa http://www.eklavya.org/storyhere.html

No comments:

Post a Comment