Friday, February 26, 2016

048 - Vikramaditya's Throne

Many years ago there ruled a king called Bhoja. He was fearless, brave, just, and victorious. Justice and peace prevailed in the kingdom.

One day a Brahmin came to the king and said, "I have a problem and I want justice."

King Bhoja asked the Brahmin to go ahead and present his case.

The brahmin said, "Two months ago I decided to go to Kashi on a pilgrimage. I had three precious stones - valuable and priceless, which I gave to my neighbour here for safekeeping. My children are small and my wife was alone. I entrusted the stones to my friend and departed to Kashi. As soon as I came back I asked my neighbour to return the three stones. He says he has already returned them to my wife. My wife denies the entire episode and I want you to give justice and ask this neighbour of mine to return my precious stones."

Bhoja asked the neighbour, "Did you receive the three stones? Have you really returned the three stones? Were there any witnesses?"

"Yes," answered the neighbour. "The kotwal and the sarpanch were present when I returned the stones to this man's wife."

Bhoja called the kotwal and the sarpanch. Both of them confirmed that they were present when the neighbour returned the stones.

King Bhoja turned to the Brahmin in anger and said, "You are a very dishonest man. This fellow here has witnesses to the handling over of the stones and you say your wife does not have them. Be away with you. If you had not gone to Kashi and returned with the punya of the pilgrimage I would have thrown you into jail. Be happy with what you have and do not be greedy for what belongs to others."

The Brahmin was very angry. he said, "What an unjust king you are! The shepherd boy sitting on the hillock dispenses true and better justice than you. When he does that both parties go back satisfied and truly acknowledged. I will go to him and ask for justice."

Bhoja had heard of this shepherd boy who would sit on a hillock and do justice. He was now curious to know more and accompanied the Brahmin to the shepherd. The Brahmin stated his case and the shepherd boy said, "Call your neighbour, wife , sarpanch and the kotwal."

All these people were called and the shepherd boy asked everybody except King Bhoja to move far away and called the kotwal. "Will you describe the stones to me? How did they look? What colour were they? What size were they?"

"They were beautiful, fluorescent blue, shining brilliantly and the size of lemons," replied the kotwal.

The shepherd boy then sent the kotwal away and asked the sarpanch the same question.

"Oh they were red, the colour of blood and the size of small pebbles", replied the sarpanch.

The shepherd called everybody and said that the neighbour was lying. "Return the stones to this Brahmin. You have connived with these two and stolen the stones."

King Bhoja was impressed. He asked the shepherd boy, "How do you bestow such good judgement?" To which the boy replied, "I do not know. When I sit on the hillock I am able to give justice. If I am sitting anywhere else this is not possible."

Bhoja understood that there was something under the hillock which gave the shepherd magical wisdom. He ordered the hillock be dug up.

After a few days of digging there emerged from the earth a huge throne - beautifully carved with the statues of thirty-two women. It was covered with mud and grime but one could still see its beauty and elegance.

Bhoja ordered it cleaned and then saw that it was the loveliest throne. It was the throne of the legendary King Vikramaditya of Ujjain. Bhoja immediately decided to ascend the throne and use it as his own.

The shubh muhurat was decided and Bhoja prepared to ascend the throne. As he took the first step, the first statue came to life and said, "Wait O King. This throne belongs to the brave and valiant Vikramaditya. Are you generous, illustrious, just and brave as him? Only if you are can you ascend this throne." She then proceeded to tell him as story of Vikramaditya's valor.

After hearing the story Bhoja's head hung in shame and he returned to his palace. A few days passed and Bhoja decided to try again. As soon as he took the first step the second statue came to life and told him another story of Vikramaditya's greatness.

This happened 32 times and thus were born the famous stories called - Simhaasan Battisi.



source: Stories from Here and There, Ekalavya Education Foundation - By: Sunil Handa http://www.eklavya.org/storyhere.html


No comments:

Post a Comment