Friday, July 1, 2016

120 - Oil and water

Under the spreading branches of an old banyan tree a pious man was once holding discourse with his disciples when a learned Pandit sat down amongst them.

Hour after hour passed, and not only did the audience increase, but everybody listened in rapt silence.

Seeing this the Pandit said to himself, "I am far more learned than this man, yet no one hears me with so deep an interest. What can this man possess that he commands so much interest and respect?"

The pious man, who read the Pandit's thoughts, answered his question by telling the following parable:

"My brothers," said he, "you all see this lamp burning in front of you. If you look at it closely, you will find that in the brass container there are both oil and water. Now the water is telling the oil - How is it that I who am much purer than you, am obliged to take a place under you, while YOU float on top!" The oil replies - I have undergone all sorts of tests and suffered much. In the beginning - I, was a seed, and I was buried under the earth. Then I sprouted and became a plant, after which I was cut and beaten. Then I was taken to the oil mill and crushed between two stones. Finally I came out in the form of oil, and as if all this was not enough, I am now burning in this lamp to light the room. Now tell me whether you have suffered even half as much, and whether I am worthy to float on top of you or not?


source: Stories from Here and There, Ekalavya Education Foundation - By: Sunil Handa http://www.eklavya.org/storyhere.html

No comments:

Post a Comment